Microsoft, Collaboration, Competition and how not to create a Knowledge-sharing Culture.

Chris Collison

I had the privilege to share a platform with Steve at a conference in the late 90′s. Google’s “grouplets” aren’t the only knowledge-sharing contrast to Microsoft.

IBF on How ConocoPhillips Saved Hundreds of Millions Through Knowledge Sharing

Portals and KM

The International Benchmarking Forum (IBF) Live on March 6 at 11AM EST will feature Dan Ranta, Director of Knowledge Sharing (KS) at ConocoPhillips. Dan is accountable for the strategic implementation of knowledge sharing for the 31,000-person integrated oil and gas company, From 2004 to the present, KS has documented hundreds of millions of dollars in estimated cash flow for the company. See my post - Creating Global Knowledge Sharing Networks at ConocoPhillips.

2012 35

Trending Sources

Creating Global Knowledge Sharing Networks at ConocoPhillips

Portals and KM

On Friday I attended Driving Business Excellence With Formal, Global Networks led by Dan Ranta , Director of Knowledge Sharing, ConocoPhillips. Here is the session description: “In 2004, ConocoPhillips launched a large initiative to create internal communities of practice that would enhance knowledge sharing within the firm. Seven years later, the ConocoPhillips' knowledge-sharing program is ranked as best-in-class across industries.”.

Why Is Knowledge Sharing Important? A Matter of Survival

Elsua

That man has got plenty of golden nuggets to share around the topics of Knowledge Sharing, Collaboration, Communities, Learning and Enterprise 2.0 Have you checked out one of his most recent blog posts on Why is Knowledge Sharing Important?

Ford Foundation, Open Access and Really Sharing Knowledge

Full Circle Associates

Knowledge sharing can be enabled or blocked based on organizational policies and infrastructure. Some people still worry that setting their knowledge free will hurt them. collaboration community indicators knowledge sharing learning open

2015 45

Is this Knowledge Management’s most effective tool?

Chris Collison

Connection, Collection, Collaboration, Curation, Conversation, Communities, Culture…. One of knowledge management’s most powerful tools. Having a coffee with someone is a pretty visible way to share knowledge.

2013 38

Four Pillars of Successful Communities of Practice

Chris Collison

Every so often, it’s good to revisit some of the fundamentals of knowledge management and reflect on their continuing importance to the field. Looking more deeply at this definition, I think there are four “pillars” of shared commitmen t successful communities.

2013 50

The Evolution of the Knowledge Web Worker

Elsua

“ A knowledge worker is someone who gets to decide what he or she does each morning “, by Thomas A. Stewart, (Journalist & Author) is probably one of my all time favourite quotes that my good friend David Gurteen keeps sharing every so often in a couple of places.

2011 96

Carl Jackson on Supporting Online Communities in International Development

Nancy White

Carl Jackson of Westhill Knowledge Group (formerly at IDS – Institute of Development Studies ), colleague at KM4Dev , friend and all around smart and funny guy took 20 minutes to share some of his experiences supporting and participating in online communities in international development.

Knowledge Management, Stories, Roald Dahl and Matilda!

Chris Collison

For the uninitiated, it’s a musical production of Roald Dahl’s book of the same name – about a little girl who develops her own knowledge, imagination, stories and her own special powers in some pretty extreme family and school circumstances.

Knowledge, Reciprocity and Billy Ray Harris

Chris Collison

Reciprocity is an important principle for knowledge management, and one which underpins the idea of Offers and Requests. Offers and Requests was a simple approach, introduced to make it easier for Operations Engineers at BP to ask for help, and to share good practice with their peers.

Just thinking…

Chris Collison

Is it true that the best things come in small packages when it comes to knowledge? I came across this helpful framework for thinking about the way we approach the packaging and sharing of knowledge. Or are we harvesting fruitful knowledge assets ?

2015 27

Seeing the whole elephant…

Chris Collison

The answers to the question: “what does knowledge management mean to you?” People have such different perspectives on what knowledge management is – and it’s rare for anyone to connect the different components together in any kind of holistic framework.

2015 32

Why Best Practices Don’t Work for Knowledge Work

Elsua

And here is why … "Best Practices" are the worst thing you can apply to any kind of knowledge work. Always leaving room to improve the already existing knowledge by acquiring plenty more! So can you capture those "Best Practices" on knowledge work?

2010 102

My favourite things…

Chris Collison

One particular type of activity stands out as my favourite, running a knowledge-sharing and learning consortium. You could say that it’s the perfect blend of a Community of Practice and a Peer Assist, with a brilliant mix of non-competing organisations.

2015 25

Looking back – KM highlights from 2014 (part 2)

Chris Collison

Sharing Knowledge in the Offshore Wind community. Where are the safe places to begin knowledge-sharing? It’s an unconventional community of practice – but a fascinating one to work with. Communities in Copenhagen .

2015 24

Shell All of That Knowledge, Please!

Elsua

Can video make a difference in Knowledge Transfer? Nick actually shares along a few reasons as to why it may well be a rather effective method for transferring knowledge across. Specially, with senior knowledge workers. Collaboration Communities Enterprise2.0

2011 58

KM, Communities and the “Little Free Library”

Chris Collison

I came across this post via the Knowledge Flow (thank you Susan Frost!), and was struck by the idea, and its parallels in the world of networks and communities of practice. That sounds like a pretty effective knowledge management tool to me.

10 options for implementing a KM strategy

Chris Collison

The critical difference is that there is a deliberate effort to harness the energy and passion of workers at the front line, and to involve them in the programme, perhaps as group of advisors or a community of practice.

The ultimate Knowledge Management recipe?

Chris Collison

That’s basis of organisational network analysis, which can be an excellent tool for determining the focus of a KM strategy or Community of Practice plan. of discovery and sharing which it had generated. So perhaps the ultimate knowledge-sharing dish is roast lamb glazed in honey?

KM 14

Don’t Underestimate the Value of Your Community Managers

Elsua

Never mind the community facilitators. Just because they all share that common passion: wanting to help and learn from others on that particular subject matter that gathers them around. Communities are different beasts. Collaboration Communities Enterprise2.0

2012 113

Life Without eMail – 5th Year Progress Report – The Community, The Movement

Elsua

A couple of months back I was talking about this with one of my fellow IBM colleagues, and very good friend, Rawn Shah , and while brainstorming on something that I am hoping to be able to share very soon (Which I am sure plenty of folks out there have been waiting for it for a while!),

2013 132

Blog>> Trends in Knowledge Management

Green Chameleon

For example, document taxonomies and knowledge sharing procedures were defined; identified experts shared their knowledge in defined communities. Today, we can identify six strong trends that lead into new concepts of knowledge sharing and collaboration: Exploring. People are inherently curious for more based on their interest: a) Social media allows us to discover new content which is shared by our peers, friends, etc.

New publication – Knowledge Weaving for Social Innovation: Laying the First Strand

Making CommunitySense

Knowledge Weaving for Social Innovation: Laying the First Strand. of the 12th Prato Community Informatics Research Network Conference, November 9-11, 2015, Prato, Italy , pp.51-64. Society consists of a web of interconnected communities. A large body of research and practice exists on how to make communities work. Still, the intersection and interaction of multiple communities – the development and use of their inter-communal commons – is ill-understood.

2016 40

Blog>> Knowledge Management in Intranets

Green Chameleon

Knowledge sharing happens partially with technology, and also successfully without software. In my experience, these knowledge sharing tools are often add-ons to the classic intranet platform. Recently, many people argue (see also New Edge in Knowledge , chapter 1 ‘Primary Directives’) that knowledge sharing activities should happen in our daily work, in order to overcome usage barriers. suppliers) into communities.

Bloomfire Provides Comprehensive Knowledge Connections

Portals and KM

is a relatively new offering in the knowledge management space, founded in 2010, that is meeting a need that has remained with us for some time: how do you connect people with the knowledge they need to accomplish their work tasks? Bloomfire.

2013 49

Green Chameleon » Filenaming Conventions and Knowledge Sharing

Green Chameleon

www.straitsknowledge.com blog articles how-to guides events publications book videos about Filenaming Conventions and Knowledge Sharing Sometimes we get so wrapped up in the high flown theory and rhetoric of knowledge sharing, we forget the mundane, almost mechanical ways in which we can enhance it.

Planning and Evaluating Your CoP (amplifying and other good stuff)

Nancy White

Here’s his note : “Check out @nancywhite ‘s Full Circle Associates on Communities of Practice (CoPs). I used the same communities of practice framework the last three weeks in my workshops in Australia about teaching and learning online.

Sharing Practices from Project Community 15

Full Circle Associates

flickr photo by cogdogblog [link] shared under a Creative Commons (BY) license I’m hip deep into this year’s Project Community course with the Hague University of Applied Sciences. If you have anything cool to share, let me know!

Beyond the Webinar

Full Circle Associates

I’ve edited/generalized my thoughts to share. Us/Them: It is logical for an organizer or organizing agency to want to appear well prepared for sharing their work. Sharing information is essential, but synchronous time should always have significant multi directional interaction.

2014 25

Community Knowledge Sharing and Home Heating

Michelle Laurie

People rotated through tables with one person remaining at each table throughout to act as a host and share what the people in the earlier rounds had to say. even in small rural communities where you think everyone already knows each other!

Social Business Forum 2011 – Communities or Organisations – The New Collaboration Ecology

Elsua

A couple of months back you would remember how I put together a couple of posts over here in this blog where I shared some of the highlights from the recent Social Business Forum 2011 event, which took place on June 8th in Milan, Italy.

2011 78

Resource Guide to Learning Delivery Methods

Full Circle Associates

Finally, I’ve gotten around to a) getting permission from the ILO to share (THANK YOU!) The Resource Guide to Learning Delivery Methods (pdf for now) is a version of one of the outputs of our work, shared with permission from the Facility with the hope that it adds value to your work.

SRI and Knowledge Sharing | Full Circle Associates

Nancy White

Can we view knowledge sharing not as a proscribed set of practices, but instead a set of principles? While there are a range of tools and methods that we call “knowledge sharing,&# they are just tools. What is the soil for knowledge sharing?

Green Chameleon » What is Knowledge Sharing?

Green Chameleon

www.straitsknowledge.com blog articles how-to guides events publications book videos about What is Knowledge Sharing? One of our participants was Awie Foong who’s studying knowledge sharing motivation for his PhD (by the way, he’s looking for companies to participate in his knowledge sharing culture study next month - you’ll get a customised report if you participate as a company). KNOWLEDGE SHARING IS GOOD.

Article on the CGIAR’s Knowledge Sharing Toolkit | Full Circle Associates

Nancy White

Science has traditionally relied on a few key vehicles for sharing and validating new knowledge. In addition, the patent system serves as a complementary knowledge broker in instances where research spawns technical innovation.

Mirror Mirror, On the Wall: Learning in a Crowded Life

Full Circle Associates

See White-2005-Little ) Ostensibly I was there to help facilitate learning around using online tools for community development, particularly in rural towns being connected via a school connectivity project. How do we notice useful bits, pick them up, reflect on them and share them?

theTeam – Knowledge Management Done Right

Elsua

So now you know why I keep bumping into some pretty amazing video clips and why I just can’t help the urge to share them across with other people who may be interested as well. Have you seen “ Using Knowledge Management “? Collaboration Communities Enterprise2.0

Communities of practice: Sil on knowledge sharing

Joitske Hulsebosch

One of my big questions at the moment is how to distinguish between different types and levels of knowledge in a useful manner. Knowledge sharing' is such a container word.

Enterprise 2.0 Summit Highlights – “Knowledge Shared Is Power”

Elsua

Like I mentioned in yesterday’s blog post, there are lots of things that I would want to share across with you folks over the next few weeks, but for today I thought I would go ahead and get started sharing some initial highlights from the Enterprise 2.0