Is this Knowledge Management’s most effective tool?

Chris Collison

Connection, Collection, Collaboration, Curation, Conversation, Communities, Culture…. One of knowledge management’s most powerful tools. Having a coffee with someone is a pretty visible way to share knowledge.

2013 38

Blog>> Trends in Knowledge Management

Green Chameleon

For example, document taxonomies and knowledge sharing procedures were defined; identified experts shared their knowledge in defined communities. Today, we can identify six strong trends that lead into new concepts of knowledge sharing and collaboration: Exploring. People are inherently curious for more based on their interest: a) Social media allows us to discover new content which is shared by our peers, friends, etc.

Trending Sources

Blog>> Knowledge Management in Intranets

Green Chameleon

Knowledge sharing happens partially with technology, and also successfully without software. In my experience, these knowledge sharing tools are often add-ons to the classic intranet platform. Recently, many people argue (see also New Edge in Knowledge , chapter 1 ‘Primary Directives’) that knowledge sharing activities should happen in our daily work, in order to overcome usage barriers. suppliers) into communities.

Microsoft, Collaboration, Competition and how not to create a Knowledge-sharing Culture.

Chris Collison

I had the privilege to share a platform with Steve at a conference in the late 90′s. Google’s “grouplets” aren’t the only knowledge-sharing contrast to Microsoft.

Knowledge Management, Stories, Roald Dahl and Matilda!

Chris Collison

For the uninitiated, it’s a musical production of Roald Dahl’s book of the same name – about a little girl who develops her own knowledge, imagination, stories and her own special powers in some pretty extreme family and school circumstances.

Blog>> Knowledge Management Explained in Five Disciplines

Green Chameleon

Since 1999, my work has been related to Knowledge Management (KM). Already then, KM was a term that was not well recognised; at the time, we did not label our KM-related consulting services with Knowledge Management. Today I am holding an official position in Knowledge Management, still many people do not grasp the term and have a clear understanding of it. In my comprehension, the field of Knowledge Management has a few clearly distinguished topics.

Why Is Knowledge Sharing Important? A Matter of Survival

Elsua

That man has got plenty of golden nuggets to share around the topics of Knowledge Sharing, Collaboration, Communities, Learning and Enterprise 2.0 Have you checked out one of his most recent blog posts on Why is Knowledge Sharing Important?

Creating Global Knowledge Sharing Networks at ConocoPhillips

Portals and KM

On Friday I attended Driving Business Excellence With Formal, Global Networks led by Dan Ranta , Director of Knowledge Sharing, ConocoPhillips. Here is the session description: “In 2004, ConocoPhillips launched a large initiative to create internal communities of practice that would enhance knowledge sharing within the firm. Seven years later, the ConocoPhillips' knowledge-sharing program is ranked as best-in-class across industries.”.

Four Pillars of Successful Communities of Practice

Chris Collison

Every so often, it’s good to revisit some of the fundamentals of knowledge management and reflect on their continuing importance to the field. Looking more deeply at this definition, I think there are four “pillars” of shared commitmen t successful communities.

2013 50

Yammer for internal knowledge sharing for health care and policy making

Joitske Hulsebosch

But nice to see the examples of various uses of Yammer and how it has opened up knowledge in organisations and made it accessible, through the use of a social approach. At Rijkswaterstaat there is a community manager. knowledge management informal learning

Life Without eMail – 5th Year Progress Report – The Community, The Movement

Elsua

A couple of months back I was talking about this with one of my fellow IBM colleagues, and very good friend, Rawn Shah , and while brainstorming on something that I am hoping to be able to share very soon (Which I am sure plenty of folks out there have been waiting for it for a while!),

2013 132

My Favorite Knowledge Management Story and its Lessons Learned for Today

Portals and KM

Knowledge management has been around for over twenty years now. This is also one of the clearest cases I have seen of an organization moving to a knowledge-based business model and then aligning its knowledge management system to directly support this new model. In the 1990s, Ryder’s management began to notice important changes in the company’s markets. A key part of this strategy would be to move to a more knowledge-based business model.

2012 33

Don’t Underestimate the Value of Your Community Managers

Elsua

Never mind the community facilitators. Just because they all share that common passion: wanting to help and learn from others on that particular subject matter that gathers them around. Communities are different beasts. Collaboration Communities Enterprise2.0

2012 113

Seeing the whole elephant…

Chris Collison

The answers to the question: “what does knowledge management mean to you?” People have such different perspectives on what knowledge management is – and it’s rare for anyone to connect the different components together in any kind of holistic framework.

2015 32

Just thinking…

Chris Collison

Is it true that the best things come in small packages when it comes to knowledge? I came across this helpful framework for thinking about the way we approach the packaging and sharing of knowledge. Or are we harvesting fruitful knowledge assets ?

2015 27

My favourite things…

Chris Collison

One particular type of activity stands out as my favourite, running a knowledge-sharing and learning consortium. You could say that it’s the perfect blend of a Community of Practice and a Peer Assist, with a brilliant mix of non-competing organisations.

2015 25

Looking back – KM highlights from 2014 (part 2)

Chris Collison

Sharing Knowledge in the Offshore Wind community. Where are the safe places to begin knowledge-sharing? It’s an unconventional community of practice – but a fascinating one to work with. Communities in Copenhagen .

2015 24

KM, Communities and the “Little Free Library”

Chris Collison

I came across this post via the Knowledge Flow (thank you Susan Frost!), and was struck by the idea, and its parallels in the world of networks and communities of practice. That sounds like a pretty effective knowledge management tool to me.

Why Do I Share My Knowledge?

Elsua

and Social Business thought leaders and blogger extraordinaire, Oscar Berg , put together a rather inspiring article that I thought would be worth while reflecting on, specially, since it is at the heart of not just social software, but also collaboration and knowledge management in general.

2012 142

10 options for implementing a KM strategy

Chris Collison

The critical difference is that there is a deliberate effort to harness the energy and passion of workers at the front line, and to involve them in the programme, perhaps as group of advisors or a community of practice. Project Management Social media Storytelling UN UNKMers UNSSC

Social Business Forum 2011 – Communities or Organisations – The New Collaboration Ecology

Elsua

A couple of months back you would remember how I put together a couple of posts over here in this blog where I shared some of the highlights from the recent Social Business Forum 2011 event, which took place on June 8th in Milan, Italy.

2011 78

How Social Networking Tools Enable Heutagogy in Learning Organisations

Elsua

Those absolutely mind-blowing and rather provocative sentences, as depressing and as exciting as they may sound, don’t come from a knowledge worker working in a particular corporation protesting about the poor state of workplace learning or learning in general.

2016 72

How Social Networking Can Improve Work Meetings

Elsua

Specially, when those meetings are not set up by you, but by everyone else, and therefore making you lose the control , once again, in terms of one of the most precious things all of us, knowledge workers, have that we don’t seem to treasure well enough: Time.

2013 122

The Soft Skills of Collaboration and The Social Enterprise

Elsua

She eventually comes to talk about the stuff that most folks haven’t considered just yet in any open and transparent collaborative and knowledge sharing environment. Sharing your knowledge will relinquish your power, don’t you think?).

Skills 129

Can IBM Watson Workspace Save Our Productivity?

Elsua

The thing is that I have always been a bit concerned about the specific role we seem to have placed upon AI to come to our rescue and solve all of our societal / business problems, even to the point of replacing our very own decision making processes, therefore becoming the new managers.

2016 61

The Sharing Economy

Elsua

Well, now, here it comes The Share Economy with a far too similar mantra that most of us, socially networked knowledge workers, have been embracing, and living!, for a good while now: Sharing! And all of that, because of a single magical word: share! Let’s share!

Share 111

2013 – The Year of Social HR

Elsua

It may well be a matter of semantics, but for as long as we keep using gamification as the wording / concept it will never stick around in the corporate world as we know it, based on those couple of reasons I shared above. Collaboration Communities Employee Engagement Enterprise2.0

2013 114

Why Don’t You Show Your Work?

Elsua

There used to be a time when plenty of knowledge (Web) workers flocked to the Social Web to nurture, cultivate and build their own external social networks. I’m perhaps just sharing far too much! It’s what knowledge (Web) workers do.

2016 58

Social Business in 2013 – An Opportunity (Open Business)

Elsua

Knowledge workers ultimately adopt and embrace as well a much more open, public, trustworthy and transparent manner of collaborating and sharing their knowledge. Ever heard of Talent Management or Talent Wars? Collaboration Communities Employee Engagement Enterprise2.0

2013 119

IBM’s Trip to Become A Socially Integrated Enterprise

Elsua

Here are a couple of my favourite quotes from the interview: “ At IBM we are trying to create a new way of working that connects our people with our customers, prospective employees, communities in which we want to do business and other constituencies in a more direct manner and meaningful way.

Redefine the Workplace of the Future with Social Learning

Elsua

it’s been a long while since last time that I participated on a Blog Carnival, specially around the topic of Collaboration, Knowledge Sharing and Learning. That’s probably as good as it gets… Collaboration Communities Enterprise2.0

2012 121

How Meaningful, Smarter, Freelance Work Is Redesigning the Social Enterprise

Elsua

Go and have a look into John’s latest take on how wild ducks, trust agents and intrapreneurs are continuing to take the corporate world by storm gathering informally in groups, whether teams, networks or communities, amongst several others (John mentions a few of them as well!)

2011 121

How the Social Enterprise Defines the 21st Century Workplace – Moving To The Edge

Elsua

Yes, I am referring to the so-called Knowledge Web Workers. Knowledge workers are not getting hired, because social computing tools are helping solve most of the companies’ problems / issues without having to spend extra money on hiring new resources.

2011 117

Social Connections VI – From Adoption to Adaptation, from Enablement into Engagement, while #WOLWeek Kicks Off

Elsua

Not every day do you get to work in multiple dream jobs at the same firm, while living in paradise island , with your HR manager physically located in another continent different than yours and with your project manager working in one other (different) continent altogether. That means we are just one week short for the event itself to kick off and I guess it’s now a good time for me to share with you all what I will be up to while I am there. My goodness!

2014 78

Business Can’t Succeed in a World That’s Failing

Elsua

I think I would just go ahead and take the liberty of embedding the screen shot over here that Jim re-shared, so you can see what I mean with that redefinition of the state of work: . totally disengaged with (knowledge) workers AND their societies.

2012 97

Reflections from 2011 – A World Without Email – The Documentary

Elsua

And what a better way of finishing that year end report than sharing with you all the last week, i.e. week #52, along with the overall yearly report itself. I know, a long time ago, but still worth while sharing across before we catch up with 2011′s, don’t you think?

Email 119

Liberate Your Company Through Employee Engagement

Elsua

But the most worrying thing is that it will never become a reality unless we shift gears with regards to our mindsets in jumping forward on to what it would really mean nonetheless: a dual-lane highway of engagement between knowledge workers and their employers.

The Fallacy of Social Networking

Elsua

Now, that reflection I have just shared above has helped me tremendously to see things in a little bit better perspective, specially, after what I have been witnessing in the last couple of years See? Collaboration Communities Enterprise2.0

2012 108

Twitter Is Where Conversations Go To Die

Elsua

When was the last time you were trying to catch up on a conversation from those wonderful people you decided to start following, because you felt they would manage to rock your world, if you would give them a chance (And, yes!, Our shared, networked and interconnected world: . .

2012 103

Don’t Underestimate the Power of (Social) Collaboration. It Is Not a Given

Elsua

After the last few days where I have been blogging a number of different times about some musings on redesigning and refining further along the workplace of the future, it’s time to get down to business again and continue to share further insights around social networking / computing for business or the good old Social Business itself. They are more cultural traits of how knowledge gets shared across. Collaboration Communities Enterprise2.0

2012 84