“Monetizing Online Forums,” a Guide to Monetization Done Right, is Available Now (Free Download)

Managing Communities

9 months of work culminates today with the release of my new ebook, “Monetizing Online Forums,” published by Skimlinks. You can download it for free right now. The goal of this project was to create a detailed guide to monetizing online forums the right way – in a manner that respects the community and balances [.].

2012 66

Thoughts on the State of Community Management 2015 Report

Online Community Strategy

Last week my friends and colleagues at The Community Roundtable released their annual “State of Community Management” report. Key Points & Findings include: An overview of the excellent Community Maturity model, as well as case studies on ho Microsoft and Johnson Controls have extended the model for internal use. Community Management, as a role and discipline, needs more internal investment and support.

2015 49

Observations and Predictions (2019 Edition)

Community Guy

My friends at Vanilla Forums asked me to add my observations of online communities in 2018 and the predictions for where we are going in 2019 to their yearly report. Download here: CommunityPredictions2019. I’m really excited about community in 2019.

2019 116

Observations and Predictions (2018 Edition)

Community Guy

My friends at Vanilla Forums asked me to add my observations of online communities in 2018 and the predictions for where we are going in 2019 to their yearly report. Download here: CommunityPredictions2019. I’m really excited about community in 2019.

2018 127

More Highlights from the Online Community Business Forum

Online Community Report

This is the second (and super long) entry of highlights from the Online Community Business Forum, which took place in lovely Sonoma, CA March 19-20. Five (Six) types of Community Context: • A person/User. • Hence the idea of community. Breakout 3: Online Community Culture.

Green Chameleon » Social Software Guides

Green Chameleon

www.straitsknowledge.com blog articles how-to guides events publications book videos about Social Software Guides Max Kiesler has published an extremely useful list of 40 downloadable open source social software applications (thanks Maish ).

Thoughts on the State of Community Management 2015 Report

Online Community Strategy

Last week my friends and colleagues at The Community Roundtable released their annual “State of Community Management” report. Key Points & Findings include: An overview of the excellent Community Maturity model, as well as case studies on ho Microsoft and Johnson Controls have extended the model for internal use. Community Management, as a role and discipline, needs more internal investment and support.

2015 35

Collaborative Thinking: PARC Forums: People & Social Technologies

Collaborative Thinking

Collaborative Thinking Perceptions on collaboration and social software by Mike Gotta « Enterprise-enabling Facebook | Main | Designing & Enabling Communities » December 19, 2007 PARC Forums: People & Social Technologies Both presentations are worth viewing. This forum will address the following issues: - What process should companies use to create a coherent social strategy? Tagging Community Book Roll Robert L.

2007 100

Oldie but goodie: "CompuServe's Intranet Forum"

Endless Knots

September 13, 1997 Virtual Teams with Jessica Lipnack & Jeffrey Stamps CompuServe's Intranet Forum Anne/Moderator: Welcome to the Intranet Forum ! It's quite an experience for us to be online doing this forum. We first came online in 1979 and this is the first time in all those years that we've done an author forum. Jessica Lipnack: Every time you run a forum, your group forms a temporary virtual team. And I'd be glad to do another forum.

Communities of practice at Rabobank New Zealand and Australia

Joitske Hulsebosch

Brad Hinton wrote a paper about his experiences with communities of practice at the Rabobank Australia. You can download the paper here. Communities of practice can be an important component of a knowledge management strategy. People in communities share their experiences and knowledge in a free-flowing, creative way. They started communities of practice under the name 'pubs'. Tags: communities of practice

Communities and Collaboration " Communities of Practice: Conversations to Collaboration

John Tropea - Delicious Community

Research Wiki Video Search Communities Google Facilitation Policy fun Standards Software Event Presentations Information Management Blogs Uncategorized Social Computing Reports Central Government Social Networking Tools Delicious Links Social Media Knowledge Management Public Sector Web2.0 Communities of Practice -- Powered by Category Cloud What Im Doing. 8 comments to “Communities of Practice: Conversations to Collaboration&# #1 Ingrid Koehler wrote: 25.

Collaborative Thinking: Social Networks Seem To Travel Well

Collaborative Thinking

15 moved into social networking by rolling out a new travel Web site with blogging capabilities, discussion forums and feedback applications through its GetThere online booking tool. The forums have been grouped into five subcategories: general, Beijing, Shanghai, Sanmen and Haiyang.

2008 130

Green Chameleon » A Conversation in Canberra

Green Chameleon

You can view it below and download it at [link].

2007 130

Collaborative Thinking: Designing & Enabling Communities

Collaborative Thinking

Collaborative Thinking Perceptions on collaboration and social software by Mike Gotta « PARC Forums: People & Social Technologies | Main | Social Applications: Leave The Rough Edges Alone » December 19, 2007 Designing & Enabling Communities Very effective at getting some key concepts across - well worth viewing. Rasmus Denham Grey Download Squad E L S U A ~ A KM Blog Ed Brill Elias Torres Full Circle Guy Creese Innovation Creators Irwin Lazar John D.

2007 100

Community management: The 'essential' capability of successful Enterprise 2.0 efforts | Enterprise Web 2.0 | ZDNet.com

On TechRepublic: Weirdest error messages of all time BNET Business Network: BNET TechRepublic ZDNet ZDNet Members login Newsletters Site Assistance RSS Feeds Home News & Blogs Videos White Papers Downloads Reviews Popular Enterprise Web 2.0 via: Mobile RSS Email Alerts Bios: Dion’s Bio September 28th, 2009 Community management: The essential capability of successful Enterprise 2.0 Community management itself can be sensitive subject in the social media arena.

Green Chameleon » Justification by Faith or Works?

Green Chameleon

The learning ripples from the actKM conference are still spreading, on the actKM forum as well as in the blogosphere. In fact, he says, numbers such as activity and downloads metrics “are vital to you but there’s a problem with them: No one else cares. www.straitsknowledge.com blog articles how-to guides events publications book videos about Justification by Faith or Works?

2008 100

Alfresco Community 2.1 Release

Alfresco.com Developers Forums Forge Blogs Podcasts Accessibility Contact The Open Source Alternative for Enterprise Content Management Home Products Services Customers Partners About Us Search: Select Language: English Français Deutsch Español Italiano Japanese Alfresco Community 2.1 Release Download Alfresco Download Alfresco Community 2.1 Tags: community opensource

Decentralized communities & Spaces

In the past, Hes been a community program manager, network administrator, a systems programmer, a web project manager, an author, a technology writer and editor. Friday June 08, 2007 Decentralized communities & Spaces I picked up my copy of The Starfish and the Spider again to look back at how they describe their approach to building a community. The reference is directly apt to communities, and in this light relevant to our Spaces model.

Java 28

An Update on the Online Community Research Network

Online Community Report

We mention the Online Community Research Network on the Online Community Report blog quite often, but I haven't given a comprehensive update on what we are up to in several months. We have over 100 online community professionals from a healthy range of industries and organizations.

Here’s Where the E-Learning Community Provides Practical Value

Delicious/choconancy/online_facilitation

We also discussed ways that being part of the community can help make you an elearning superstar. One of my first suggestions is to jump into the community forums and start asking for help. A Quick Note about Communities. Communities typically work like the image below.

2010 57

Emerging questions on Emergent Learning

Jenny Connected

The SCoPE community discussion forums on emergent learning continue to be very stimulating – and in true emergent form are raising more questions than are being answered. See the open SCoPE discussion forums for more information.

Twelve best practices for online customer communities | Enterprise Web 2.0 | ZDNet.com

Fox vs Alba BNET Business Network: BNET TechRepublic ZDNet ZDNet all ZDNet in Blogs in News in Downloads in Reviews in Whitepapers in Dictionary Go! Members Log In Newsletters Site Assistance RSS Feeds Home News & Blogs Videos White Papers Downloads Reviews Popular Enterprise Web 2.0

COURSEWARE: social media and PR Crisis Communication

Laurel Papworth- Social Network Strategy

I’m going to gradually, as time permits, migrate all my courseware across to the new format, offer it for free download under Creative Commons for download (lulu or scribd ), or physical colour workbooks via publish on demand Lulu ( [link] ) .

When online communities go to work | Enterprise Web 2.0 | ZDNet.com

On TV.com: TV's Top 10 Bars BNET Business Network: BNET TechRepublic ZDNet ZDNet Members login Newsletters Site Assistance RSS Feeds Home News & Blogs Videos White Papers Downloads Reviews Popular Enterprise Web 2.0 million strong online community. Consumer-focused communities.

Enterprise: List of 40 Social Media Staff Guidelines

This list also includes policies called; Staff blogging policies, enterprise social network guidelines, Employee Blogging Policies, Staff engagement in online communities, and so on. US Navy very formal PDF [link] click through » Download PDF.

Community management: The 'essential' capability of successful Enterprise 2.0 efforts | ZDNet

Community management: The essential capability of successful Enterprise 2.0 efforts By Dion Hinchcliffe | September 28, 2009, 2:21pm PDT Summary It’s not a skill that’s been widely understood until quite recently, however community management has begun to move to the forefront of discussions about enterprise social computing as the use of social tools begins to climb the maturity curve. Community management itself can be sensitive subject in the social media arena.

2011 61

Going from social networks to Communities

In the past, Hes been a community program manager, network administrator, a systems programmer, a web project manager, an author, a technology writer and editor. Tuesday June 27, 2006 Going from social networks to Communities Im not sure if Ive posted this graphic before but I use this inslides quite often to familiarize those who new to community buildingbut have heard of Web 2.0. social tagging,wikis, forums, comments, polls, etc.)

Java 28

The burnout risks for E2.0 community managers | Irregular Enterprise | ZDNet.com

On mySimon: Sale Prices on Nintendo Wii Games BNET Business Network: BNET TechRepublic ZDNet ZDNet Members login Newsletters Site Assistance RSS Feeds Home News & Blogs Videos White Papers Downloads Reviews Popular Irregular Enterprise Dennis Howlett Get Irregular Enterprise via: Mobile RSS Email Alerts Bios: Dennis’s Bio September 29th, 2009 The burnout risks for E2.0 Culture has to be accommodated in community management. Download Now INNOV8 2.0:

Community ROI Report

Ed Mitchell: Platform neutral Network and community design and facilitation; event design and facilitation. Blog About Ed Projects Services Community ROI Report November 21, 2007 – 1:39 pm Forum One have released another of their very handy online community survey reports, this time about Community ROI. It’s worth a download and a read. Question 8: What is your current attitude towards your organization’s online community initiatives?

ROI 30

Innovation and Communities of Practice

Start downloading documents right away. Explore Community Log In | Sign Up From: gfbertini + Subscribe Innovation and Communities of Practice Related Comunidades de Prática 233 reads Intentional Innovation - Kellogg Foundation 2008 2211 reads Innovation and Philanthropy 1414 reads Kviselius N.Z. Learning as a Social System 143 reads A Debate on Innovation Surveys 632 reads Challenges ahead E-innovation 463 reads Innovation 443 reads Wenger - Communities of Practice.

Howard Rheingold on the Social Media Classroom

Nancy White

As part of CPSquare’s “ Connected Futures &# workshop exploring the use of web technologies in the service of communities of practice, we (John Smith and I!) There is also a rich library of new media literacy resources and a community of practitioners.

Donations as Revenue: Social Media Business Podcast

Episode 2 of monetizing online communities looks at donations – an overlooked revenue stream and the social media tools that enable donations online. Currency has no inherent value itself – only what we, the community, say it’s worth.

Reinventing Relationships with Social Business

Elsua

As I have mentioned back then, this last time I participated in the Social Business Strategy Summit in London and then off to present in Milan at the quite amazingly insightful Social Business Forum event. Collaboration Communities Conference Events Enterprise2.0

Clustered Networks Spread Behavior Change Faster | Wired Science | Wired.com

John Tropea - Delicious Social Network

The research has important implications for people designing online communities intended to change or maintain a behavior, like weight watchers or online health communities, Centola said. Wired Home Subscribe Sections Cars 2.0

Facebook Credit: Zuckerberg next Treasurer of the Internet App2User

Social Networks and Online Communities – maybe Twitter? local photo forum? Even coins don’t actually cost $2 to make, they “represent&# a collective, community value of what is worth $2.

Forrester Wave Report: The Leaders in Community Platforms for Marketers (Part 4/4)

Over 100 vendors in this commodity market Many an entrepreneur has realized this community opportunity, when I started to cover this market there were 8 vendors on my list, today the space now boasts 100 vendors and it continues to grow. community platform?

Snap Bird – Experimenting with Curation of Live Tweeting at Conference Events

Elsua

y Social Business (In Seville), the Social Business Strategy Summit (in London) and, of course, my favourite event so far this year: the Social Business Forum (In Milan). Collaboration Communities Conference Events Enterprise2.0

IBM developerWorks : Blogs : Community and social computing

John Tropea - Delicious Social Network KM

In the past, Hes been a community program manager, network administrator, a systems programmer, a web project manager, an author, a technology writer and editor.

Why is Community So Hard? « how to save the world

February 1, 2010 Why is Community So Hard? The idea that everything belongs to the community (or beyond that, that it belongs to no one and that community belongs to the land) is anathema to the cult worldview, totally irreconcilable with it. Tags: community

2010 38

Questions about Emergent Learning

Jenny Connected

We had a great webinar on Emergent Learning on Tuesday, courtesy of Sylvia Currie and the SCoPE community at BCcampus. Have the following documents either printed out or downloaded onto your desktop. This is for downloading to your desktop and working on, on your computer.

Ten leading platforms for creating online communities | Enterprise Web 2.0 | ZDNet.com

On BNET: 6 ways to boost a netbook's power BNET Business Network: BNET TechRepublic ZDNet ZDNet all ZDNet in Blogs in News in Downloads in Reviews in Whitepapers in Dictionary Go! Members Log In Newsletters Site Assistance RSS Feeds Home News & Blogs Videos White Papers Downloads Reviews Popular Enterprise Web 2.0 Learning how to design an effective community is something we’re all going have to get better at in coming years. community.

12 Ways to DO and NOT DO a Social Media Press Release – MSF Medecins Sans Frontieres

This type of social engagement requires a site functionality and a community management resource team, that unfortunately, was beyond the budget of the campaign. AGENCY CONCEPT Use Organisation money to pay agencies to come up with campaign instead of community.

2012 285

Communities of practice and organizational performance

Storck As organizations grow in size, geographical scope, and complexity, it is increasingly apparent that sponsorship and support of communities of practice—groups whose members regularly engage in sharing and learning, based on common interests—can improve organizational performance. To build an understanding of how communities of practice create organizational value, we suggest thinking of a community as an engine for the development of social capital.