cRaggy 2018: design, feedback & reflections

Learning Alliances

This blog post describes the cRaggy event at the June 2, 2018 Cascadia R Conf , its design, the logic behind its design, feedback from participants and reflections on how such an event might be better in the future. Design to Balance Opposing Factors.

2018 130

OLDSMOOC Design

Jenny Connected

The next stage is for people to team up and work on design projects together, which might be difficult for those who have entered the MOOC as individuals rather than as a team, or alongside colleagues. Does this MOOC need the amount of prescription that is a significant part of its design? the basic MOOC is ok for CPD, but still needs some good learning design. Which leads, community or curriculum – in this MOOC?

Design 127

OLDSMOOC Design

Jenny Connected

The next stage is for people to team up and work on design projects together, which might be difficult for those who have entered the MOOC as individuals rather than as a team, or alongside colleagues. Does this MOOC need the amount of prescription that is a significant part of its design? the basic MOOC is ok for CPD, but still needs some good learning design. Which leads, community or curriculum – in this MOOC?

Design 100

Design Considerations For Enterprise Social Networks

Collaborative Thinking

While enterprise social networking has been covered extensively in the media and by IT analyst firms, one of the least discussed aspects of the topic has been the issue of design and the potential impact of design on employee adoption of such tools and applications. e-mail, community site, social collaboration platform, etc.). Social theory and design. The list of items whose success or failure in the market can be attributed to good or bad design is long and diverse.

Design 176

Using Collaboration Patterns for Contextualizing Roles in Community Systems Design

Making CommunitySense

On October 28, I presented my paper “Using Collaboration Patterns for Contextualizing Roles in Community Systems Design&# at the Community Informatics Research Network 2010 Conference (CIRN 2010) in Prato, Italy. Activation of collaborative communities is hampered by the communicative fragmentation that is at least partially caused by their distributed tool systems. We show how collaboration patterns can be used to design appropriate socio-technical solutions.

Roles 130

A Social Network Development Model

The Bumble Bee

Way back in the social networking Dark Ages, OK - October 2005, I published a "A Virtual Community Development Model" with sports metaphors for each stage. Read A Virtual Community Development Model.

Model 127

Re-Thinking Follow Models Within The Enterprise

Collaborative Thinking

Past incarnations however were perhaps so subtle and housed within a particular use case scenario or application context, that we never really thought about how the model could be leveraged in a very broad and compelling manner. Social network sites ( defined by boyd and Ellison for consumer sites in 2007 and extended by myself (while at Burton Group) to apply to enterprise sites in 2008 ), were instrumental in making follow models more prominent.

Model 150

Future interactions design: tapping the wisdom of the crowd

Making CommunitySense

His group is developing a method to let groups design scenarios of future interactions. Design explores new horizons. How can design methods address promises and pitfalls of emerging technologies? Preparing for the future.

2014 170

Yi-Tan tech and business model case study

Learning Alliances

I offered to talk about the very simple mix of tools that support the Yi-Tan community (yes, I think of it as a community and we wrote a vignette about it on p 73 of Digital Habitats ). Whatever the business model of the Yi-Tan community is, it works.

Model 141

Design Considerations For Enterprise Social Networks

Collaborative Thinking

While enterprise social networking has been covered extensively in the media and by IT analyst firms, one of the least discussed aspects of the topic has been the issue of design and the potential impact of design on employee adoption of such tools and applications. e-mail, community site, social collaboration platform, etc.). Social theory and design. The list of items whose success or failure in the market can be attributed to good or bad design is long and diverse.

Design 100

Poor Mental Models fail teams before they even start?

The Bumble Bee

One of the most powerful team exercises is to explore team leaders and team members "mental models" of teams, networks and groups. Mental models are the, often invisible, dictators of what actually happens in a team as opposed to what team leaders would like to happen.

Model 148

Consensus and community in the distributed web

Jenny Connected

MOOC is Community. I struggled last week to understand how the concept of ‘Recognition’ was being interpreted in relation to the distributed web, and I suspect I am going to struggle this week to understand how the concept of community will be interpreted.

2018 166

“Designing Social Cities of Tomorrow” workshop – presentation notes

Making CommunitySense

Prior to this conference, a three-day “Designing Social Cities of Tomorrow” workshop was held in which international participants from various professional backgrounds collaborated with local stakeholder organisations on 4 real-world urban cases : Urban Pioneers Zeeburgereiland (Amsterdam), Haagse Havens (The Hague), Strijp-S (Eindhoven), and Amsterdam Civic Innovator Network. Social cities: it’s not about a blueprint, but a design approach.

2012 172

Optimizing Social Software Design with Conceptual Graphs

Making CommunitySense

Today, I gave a presentation “Optimizing Social Software Design with Conceptual Graphs&# at LIRMM , Le Laboratoire d’Informatique, de Robotique et de Microélectronique de Montpellier: Abstract. Collaborative communities are complex and rapidly evolving socio-technical systems. Supporting the effective and efficient community-driven design of such complex and dynamic systems is not trivial.

The Customer Community

Online Community Strategy

Companies now realize they have been renting their customer communities on social platforms. . Developing Customer communities. Specifically, online Customer communities that companies build, host and manage. Community is the Fabric of Brand. the “Community”).

2017 58

Help us co-design a Living Lab to show #thewayahead for London's civil society

Social Reporter

The aim is to rethink how community and voluntary organisations are supported in future – not just through funding, but by infrastructure organisations like councils for voluntary service.

2016 130

Designing for a family learning: meaningful activities for adults

Mathemagenic

I think it is worth exploring in other settings as well, for example when looking at learning in a family or a community. Working on a project together or doing something of your own when kids are present allows them to observe “parents in action”, as role-models and not only as caregivers or facilitators of kids-centric learning and activities. As an organiser/designer of you can pay attention to adults as a target group next to the children.

2016 135

Attributes of Thriving Online Communities

I got my start building online communities in 1999 with the launch of TechRepublic.com. I was first asked the question of (more or less) “What makes a thriving community” during the first few months of our growth, and frankly, I didn’t have a good answer at the time.

2013 93

Communities & Technologies finally meeting Community Informatics

Making CommunitySense

attending the Communities & Technologies Vision workshop. Goal of the workshop is to build more common ground between the two very related fields of Communities & Technologies (C&T) and Community Informatics. It’s a systems design question.

2014 201

Purpose Will Power Future Online Communities

What if there was a way to create sustained engagement in communities and collaborative experiences that harnessed genuine motivation and strove for positive outcomes for participants? Purpose-Driven Communities. Tactical goals in the context of a community experience, yes.

What if there was a way to create sustained engagement in communities and collaborative experiences that harnessed genuine motivation and strove for positive outcomes for participants? that taps into the power of purpose to drive community engagement. Purpose-Driven Communities.

Gamification and school professional community

Community Capers

Many of you will also be thinking about how to further develop a professional community within your school. After researching the links about the program, I contacted Chris Like @christopherlike , the programs designer, for a conversation over Skype.

Designing Web-Based Communities for Professionals

Delicious/choconancy/online_community

Designing online communities for business is a subtle blend of creating the right business model, a clear understanding and service of member needs and a usable interface that enables professionals to focus on engagement. Communities often have a growing body of content.

The Customer Community

Companies now realize they have been renting their customer communities on social platforms. . Developing Customer communities. Specifically, online Customer communities that companies build, host and manage. Community is the Fabric of Brand. the “Community”).

2017 46

New Models for Creation and Collaboration | Full Circle Associates

Nancy White

Home About Full Circle Contact Resources Wiki Full Circus Full Circle Associates connections for a changing world, online and offline… Jul 18 2008 New Models for Creation and Collaboration Published by Nancy White at 10:26 am under collaboration I’m a Joss Whedon fan.

Model 130

Basic design for extraordinary conversations

Chris Corrigan

In the life of organizations and communities there are times when questions arise that just can’t be dealt with in the regular course of events. Each of these phases has to be designed in the beginning, but with space for emergent outcomes.

The Value of Community Ecosystems

I’ve worked with some form of community my entire career. In 1999 I took a job with TechRepublic.com as “UX Program Manager” and spent 9 months helping design, build, launch and grow what would become one of the largest online communities of global IT Professionals.

2019 46

Help us co-design a Living Lab to show #thewayahead for London's civil society

Social Reporter

The aim is to rethink how community and voluntary organisations are supported in future – not just through funding, but by infrastructure organisations like councils for voluntary service. The organisations that fund London’s community groups and charities, and support volunteers, are exploring how best to make the capital a better place to live and work at a time of big funding cuts and population growth.

2016 100

Walking around it to find a problem’s shape

Learning Alliances

This is especially the case if you need to get adoption by a newly forming or an existing community, that may be contained within one firm or span many. We have planned three more MVP Clinics for Social/Community Applications.

2013 151

Modeling spaces for self-directed learning at university courses

Taming the spaces

Today i sent away my paper: Modeling spaces for self-directed learning at university courses to the special call of Journal of Educational Technology & Society. The main idea is to bring out the ecological learning design framework elements and show how they were applicable at the course design. In the article I pointed to the need for the new learning design frameworks for self-directed learning with social software that were ecological.

Community Leadership Summit

Learning Alliances

I went to an the Community Leadership Summit un-conference on Saturday. I had prepared to do a session on Business Models for communities. What was most confusing in the discussion was basic: business model for what ?

2010 141

What if there was a way to create sustained engagement in communities and collaborative experiences that harnessed genuine motivation and strove for positive outcomes for participants? Purpose-Driven Communities. Tactical goals in the context of a community experience, yes.

Jokaydia Community of Practice

Community Capers

This month restarts the Community Capers project to case study some of the brilliant examples of communities of practice that exist across the globe. Jokaydia Community Blog. Jump in now and get acquainted with some of the community spaces and conversations.

Developing Communities for Collaborative Innovation: Recap of CMX Online Workshop

This is a short post to recap the online workshop I did with David Spinks of CMX about developing Collaborative Innovation Communities. Unfortunately, this type of community is also one of the most difficult to get right. Spectrum of Innovation Communities.

2018 62

Deb Lavoy on Promoting the Purpose Driven Organization and Designing the Collaborative Enterprise

Portals and KM

I recently spoke with Deb Lavoy, Director of Product Marketing for Digital and Social Media at OpenText , about enterprise design in the 21 st century.  She began by noting that we are moving from a mechanistic model for organizations to a more human model. Third, there is compounding collaboration which is designed is to “ensure that whatever our endeavor, we are leveraging, to the greatest extent possible, the work that has been done already.”

AI Use Cases For Communities & Networks

Yet, there is a reason for the hype: AI could support a radical transformation of online community management and experience: automation of routine tasks, real-time insight, enhanced personalization and the enhanced agency of an individual in digital ecosystems. potential community members).

2018 51

Clearstep Business Community : Community Engagement Models

John Tropea - Delicious Community

Remember Me Search Clearstep > Online Communities > Build > Documents Clearspace Online Communities Internal Collaboration Up to Documents in Build Currently Being Moderated Community Engagement Models VERSION 1 Created on: Jul 9, 2008 10:23 PM by Barry Tallis - Last Modified: Jul 9, 2008 10:24 PMby Barry Tallis In “Groundswell”, Charline Li and Josh Bernoff, from Forrester, identify 5 different type of community engagement models.

Model 28

KM World and Enterprise Search Summit 2010 Notes: Designing Social Search in the Enterprise

Portals and KM

I attended the workshop, Designing Social Search in the Enterprise. How do we know what to look for in search tools, services to add into the mix, and or design elements that will make an impact? Our experienced designer frames these relevant models of social search and walks though how to think through the problems to get to a more optimal solution.   So I guess I will not talk about building trust within communities to enable collaboration J. 

2010 148

My experiences of the E-Learning 3.0 MOOC to date

Jenny Connected

MOOC is related to the topic of Community in the distributed web. This is the task as created by Stephen Downes: As a community, create an assignment the completion of which denotes being a member of the community. For the purposes of this task, there can only be one community. For each participant, your being a member of the community completes the task. It requires the formation of a community, but only one community, with tangible evidence of consensus.

2018 127

Beyond Ideas: Building Open Innovation Communities

Open Innovation Communities are one of the most valuable types of communities to build and also one of the most difficult to get right. In my community practice, I’ve seen 4 stages that are typical in the maturation of an Open Innovation Community.

2016 63

SIKM community presentation

Digital Habitats

But the more we talked, the more we focused on the role of the people who are bridging between communities and technology. The concept of “community of practice” has had a career because it makes social learning as a concept accessible. Nancy White: what if there is no “community”?

2010 159

Lessons on the hard job of designing communities in the organization | Bertrand Duperrin's Notepad

John Tropea - Delicious Community

Home About Contact Categories About blogosphere about france About me About this blog Books I read Case management Collaborative practices Communication Communities Corporate blogging economy enterprise 2.0 communities can be facilitated, lightly managed but never imposed.

2011 61

Beyond Ideas: Building Open Innovation Communities

Open Innovation Communities – where companies and customers collaborate on ideas for new products and services – can be one of the most valuable ways to invest in community engagement. Unfortunately, this type of community is also one of the most difficult to get right.

2016 59